Thursday, November 15, 2007

Reindeer Grub

My family has many rituals but one of my favorites occurred on Christmas Eve. I do not recall when this ritual began, but for as long as I can remember we completed it every year. The Christmas Holiday has always been a time to celebrate with your family, but for children it is mostly about Santa Clause. On the night before Christmas my whole family, Mom, Dad, Jack, Sarah, and myself, would go out back with handfuls of dog food and throw it on the roof. It sounded like little balls of hail smacking the shingles. The purpose of this misuse of dog food was to give Santa’s Reindeer a little snack too. We would stay outside for a bit watching the night sky, hoping to catch a glimpse of Santa’s sleigh. My parents later divorced and we children grew up, so that was the end of the family ritual. I remember it fondly, though, because we were still innocent kids then, still believing that Jolly Old Saint Nick would come down the chimney with a sack full of toys for everyone.

2 comments:

Lightning15 said...

I never believed in Santa Claus. Though he was a real person, I just didn't see the point. Christmas is just another day of the week for me.

Kameshia Williams said...

Oh what a sad story and it ended so soon so you make me what to cry because family is the best part of christmas and you want it to continue that way